Mitchell Starc is currently the highest wicket-taker in the ongoing Ashes series. © AFP
Mitchell Starc has been cleared of a serious foot injury but is a big doubt for the Boxing Day Test. The Australian pace sensation has been a revelation so far in the Ashes series. He tops the charts of the highest wicket-takers in the series with 19 scalps to his name. Starc bowled a lethal delivery, which was dubbed the ‘ball of the century‘, to dismiss James Vince in the third Ashes Test in Perth. Scans confirmed he only has a bruised heel after he was seen hobbling on crutches as he left Perth after Australia claimed the Ashes by beating England by an innings and 41 runs in the third Test this week.
The injury was assessed in Sydney on Wednesday and the paceman was “cleared of serious injury”, cricket.com.au said, adding that he would link up with Australia’s 13-man squad later this week in Melbourne.
But local reports said Starc still remained a doubt to play, with Jackson Bird likely to replace him should he fail to recover.
“We’d love to win 5-0 and have the big three (Starc, Pat Cummins, Josh Hazlewood) going all the time,” skipper Steve Smith said after the Perth win.
“But we’ve also got an important tour to South Africa after this series, which we’d love to have him (Starc) available for.”
Meanwhile, the BBC said seamer Craig Overton was also a doubt for Melbourne, where England will be desperate to salvage some pride.
Overton, who made his debut in the second match of the series in Adelaide, is still struggling after being hit in the ribs by a Cummins bouncer.
“We’re going to assess it over the next couple of days,” he told the broadcaster.
“Melbourne might be a push, but it’s still an option to play at the minute.”
(With AFP Inputs)